FEMUN 2023 REPORT
On May 12-15, the Far Eastern Model United Nations 2023 was conducted in the Far Eastern Federal University, Vladivostok. The event gathered more than 90 participants from Brazil, Columbia, Ecuador, India, Iraq, Serbia, Spain, as well as such Russian cities as Vladivostok, Blagoveshchensk, Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Nakhodka, Fokino, Irkutsk, Ekaterinburg, Khabarovsk, Moscow, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, and Ulan-Ude.
Three Committees, namely the General Assembly Second Committee, General Assembly Third Committee, and Security Council, were simulated in English at the Conference. The main topic of the FEMUN 2023 Opening Plenary Session was “Regional realities – challenges, priorities and actions for accelerating COVID-19 recovery and realizing the SDGs Decade of Action”.
Participants discussed the following agenda items in Committees:
UN Security Council:
- Threats to peace and security caused by terrorist acts.
UN General Assembly Second Committee:
- Strengthening cooperation for integrated coastal zone management for achieving sustainable development.
UN General Assembly Third Committee:
- Countering the use of information and communications technologies for criminal purposes.
This year both Opening and Closing ceremonies were supported with the address to delegates made by honourable guests:
- H.E. Mr. António Guterres, the UN Secretary-General;
- Mr. Evgeny Vlasov, the Vice-President for International Relations of FEFU;
- Dr. Gandbold Baasanjav, the Director of the Subregional Office for East and North-East Asia of the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific;
- H.E. Mr. Nguyen Dang Hien, Consul General of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in Vladivostok;
- H.E. Mr. Sai Murali Seviti, the Consul General of India in Vladivostok;
- H.E. Ms. Piao Yangfan, the Consul General of the People's Republic of China in Vladivostok;
- Mr. Yuriy Sivachenko, the Honorary Consul of South Africa in Vladivostok;
- Dr. Alexander Zubritsky, the Director of the Far Eastern Branch of the “Russkiy Mir” Foundation;
- Mr. Valentin Dubinin, the Director of ANO “Center for Youth Development in Primorsky region” Youth of Primorye;
- Mr. Alexander Sokolov, attaché at the Representation of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Vladivostok;
- Ms. Daria Stegniy, the Deputy Head of the Vladivostok City Administration.
The Educational program of the Conference included the lecture from Mr. Andrey Shorshin, Press-Secretary of the Amur Tiger Center, as well as joint trainings for the participants on the UN4MUN format and consensus-building.
In frames of the Conference participants also had an opportunity to enjoy the Cultural Program organized by the partner of the Conference, Far Eastern Branch of "Russkiy Mir" Foundation, that included visits to “Artetazh” Contemporary Art Center and Multimedia history park “Russia – my history”. Participants also attended the thematic excursion from Vladimir K. Arseniev Museum of Far East History.
According to the UN4MUN approach, delegates can fulfil a more substantive role performing as the General Assembly Officials (GAO) and moderating the work of the Committees. As the results of elections, the following representatives successfully performed GAOs duties:
- Ms. Svetlana Stroiteleva – Chairperson of the UN General Assembly Second Committee;
- Ms. Arina Bukreeva – Chairperson of the UN General Assembly Third Committee.
The duties of the UN Security Council President were performed by Ms. Polina Asanova (Switzerland) in accordance with the rotation order of the UN Security Council members.
After summing up the results, the following delegates were recognized as the recipient of the Conference awards:
Distinguished Delegation award:
- Far Eastern Federal University;
- Amur State University;
- Komsomolsk-on-Amur State University;
- Higher School of Economics;
- International Linguistic School.
Outstanding Delegation award:
- Switzerland – Polina Asanova, Georgii Slastin, Alina Malkhanova, adviser – Viacheslav Ermoshin;
- United States of America – Margarita Lavrenteva, Svetlana Stroiteleva, Alexandra Uarova, adviser – Maria Chizhova;
- Malta – Vladislav Tsarkov, Alina Kozhevina, Elizaveta Svirskaya, adviser – Alexandra Kurnakova.
Best Document award:
- Arina Bukreeva – Samoa, UN General Assembly Third Committee.
- Georgii Slastin – Switzerland, UN General Assembly Second Committee;
- Svetlana Stroiteleva – Chairperson, USA, UN General Assembly Second Committee;
- Vladimir Gorokhov – Singapore, UN General Assembly Third Committee;
- Alexandra Uarova – USA, UN General Assembly Third Committee;
- Klimenty Kudryavtsev – Albania, UN Security Council.
The recipients of the Diplomacy Award are credentialed for the MUNRFE Leadership Program 2023 that includes participation in an international Model UN Conference.
Number of training debates were prepared in advance in order to give participants an opportunity for more careful preparation. The preparation process for delegates as well as for the Secretariat members started on April 25 with the training debates of the Security Council, followed by training sessions for General Assembly Second and Third Committees on April 27 and May 4 respectively. During the sessions delegates were able to practise their public speaking skills, as well as to enhance knowledge on the mandate of their Committees.
Such a large Conference would not have been implemented without a reliable team of young professionals. MUNRFE expresses its gratitude to the FEMUN 2023 Secretary-General Ms. Polina Dolgopolova, the Under-Secretary-General for Conference Management Ms. Daria Vasileva for their immense contribution to the Conference at all its stages. MUNRFE also acknowledges the great work done by the Secretariat team comprised of President of General Assembly Mr. Artem Safronov, GA2 Secretary Mr. Gleb Zimin, GA3 Secretary Mr. Maxim Krivonosov, and SC Director Mr. Viacheslav Ermoshin.
MUNRFE also expresses its appreciation to the work of the Department of Global Communications officers Ms. Valeria Kravchenko, Ms. Elizaveta Ermolina, Ms. Ksenia Zaytceva, Ms. Daria Bakanina, Mr. Semyon Chulskiy, Mr. Georgii Rzaev, Mr. Danil Khvan, and Department of Conference Management officers Ms. Shwethashree Mahesh, Ms. Huyen Pham, Ms. Jocelyn Escalier who covered the informational and logistical components of the Conference.
MUNRFE acknowledges the immeasurable support provided by the Conference partners:
- Far Eastern Federal University;
- ANO “Center for Youth Development in Primorsky region” Youth of Primorye;
- Far Eastern Branch of the “Russkiy Mir” Foundation;
- “Znanie Russia” organization;
- Amur Tiger Center;
- Slavda Group.